Alysia

Alysia
We used to nickname her pumpkin when she was younger

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One final post, our tribute and my dream

When I began this blog, I felt that I would write about my first year and then end it.  I wasn't sure a month or so ago if I was ready to end this blog but I do feel that it is time to do so.  I plan on starting another blog about the subject of living simply and I am sure there will be mention of Alysia and my ongoing ways of coping with my grief.  Just because one year has passed does not mean that I am done grieving but I am ready to turn my writing to something more creative, more beautiful, all the while honoring Alysia's memory.

Having said that, here is my final post on my one year journey.  On July 25th, 2012 (the one year mark) a bunch of us got together at Alysia's grave site.  We brought a bunch of helium balloons and we each wrote a message to Alysia on them.

We chose bright and cheery balloons to honor her first "Heaven Day".  I found this term "Heaven Day" when googling for a better way to say "date of death" shortly after Alysia died. I liked it...as much as one can like such a term under the circumstances.

The odd thing was the wind picked up rather intensely while we were signing the balloons and getting ready to release them.  We all held onto the strings because it was sooo windy. On my balloon I drew my infamous cats one of Cido and one of Dobby.  Alysia and Tomi used to say my drawn cats always looked "stoned, scared and sad" all at the same time.  What do you think?

 Holding on tight to the balloons in the wind. You can see my Dobby cat on my yellow balloon below.

About ready to release.

Just as we released them a sadness came over all of us.  That moment was so powerful emotionally.  It was for me at least, a mix of a sense of such loss, and oddly, such freedom.  I wasn't sure what I was feeling from one second to the next.

I was amazed at how far they were going.  The wind carried them up so high and so far.
After a while they were so small we couldn't see them.  Alysia's balloons went on a journey heavenward, out of our sight, just like she did. Then the wind died down.

So there it was, that one year mark here and gone.  They say sometimes the second year is harder than the first in a different way.  They say because the emotions aren't as intense and don't take over as much anymore that you now have time to really reflect on your loss.  Apparently depression is quite common in the second year. Since I do not claim to know what will happen in the second year, or the third or the next 20, I will just wait and see.  What I can say is that right now, I do feel better.  I have healed, not completely, but enough to want to continue to heal, to live, to enjoy life.

I have learned a lot about myself, my family, my friends in this past year.  I have learned how blessed I am, despite my loss. I have learned more patience, I have relearned my true self, I have rediscovered my passions, I have embarked on a new journey.  However, I was still feeling doubts, fear and a sense of abandonment.  I hadn't had many "signs" from Alysia lately and I hadn't dreamed of her in several months.  It was truly bothering me.  I felt like she had left me completely.  Not only did she die on this physical plane but she also left me on the spiritual plane and that scared me.

Yet, the other night I had a lucid dream.  A dream that I know was real in a different plane...the spiritual plane.  I won't go into details too much because they would be nonsensical to most but I will let you know the gist.  Alysia came to me in dreamtime.  She was so beautiful, she was smiling from ear to ear and very playful with me.  Teasing me with her otherwordly knowledge, and smirking at my confusion at times during this "dream".  Basically she told me that everything is ok, that everything will be ok.  but she couldn't tell me everything. She told me I had to stop wasting my energy worrying about what will happen when I die or if I will ever see her again. She told me and her Dad, in my dream the same things.  "don't worry...I'm ok. everything will be ok, trust in me, trust in God." She also told me she knew everything about science, she also played a trick on me in my dream which told me there was no time/space constraints where she was.  All of these things were so profound, so reassuring, and brought me a sense of peace.  She told me to believe in God...and like her true self she was also telling me to do something mundane by requesting that I return certain items to Josh and her.  It seemed so silly to me that she would ask me to do something like this when she was conveying so much spiritual and profound information to me but I will do as she asks :)

This reminds me of her in my dream.  Playful and happy, yet elusive and going somewhere unknown to me but known to her.  This was taken of her skipping through the streets of London, England.


I have been told a few times by people who have lost loved ones that they had received messages from their loved ones reassuring them they were ok around the one year mark.  I kept that in mind at the beginning but began to lose hope because I wasn't dreaming of Alysia for a long time.  This dream was totally unexpected and real.

It saddens me to think there are people out there who don't believe in the spiritual plane or God.  I mean those who are religious in their denial of God.(Not those who say "I just don't know".  I don't understand why people can't see how science and spirituality complement each other...oh well, each to their own.  God will be there to receive us all, believers and non-believers.  I have had my doubts, believe me, but this dream did something in my brain and my heart.  It came from Alysia who knows.  She is there; She knows.

With that, I leave this blog on the internet to help whoever needs help in their grieving of a loved one, in particular, a child. For those who stumble across this, feel free to leave a message as I will continue to receive comments. I thank everyone who has read my blog over the past year.  You all mean so much to me.

Love,

Trish











6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and well said :-)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trish, Thanks for sharing your blog with us! It enabled us to understand what you were going through and to honor Alysia in our thoughts. I am so happy you had that last dream ..It helps you to find peace! Always know that Alysa is watching over you and Tom.
    Take Care,
    Karen Lipton

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trish, I, too, have lost a child. He was 32. His heaven date was Feb. 24, 2009. Grief continues to be a journey that ebbs and flows. Our family lives near SF Bay and we meet on his birthday to meditate, celebrate his life, and toss flower petals out upon the water. Your story of your first year resonates within all of us who have said good-bye to a child too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for the loss of your precious daughter. This post made me cry. The balloons were beautiful and so sweet. My biggest fear is losing one of my children or my husband. I'm not sure I could cope and carry on. I'm so happy you are managing to heal, and that blogging has helped you. I know it is good therapy for me in a lot of ways! Even though I have never met you, you and Alysia have touched my heart! All the best ~Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stumbled upon your blog today. I have also suffered a loss, not a child but a treasured Uncle. A sudden unexpected loss. I sat at work and read every single on of your posts. Bless you and your amazing journey! I have felt many of the things you mention here. And I too believe that we are all connected by something wonderful that we will understand one day. I have no doubt that your beautiful girl is touching your life and will continue to dance into your dreams. Thank you so much for sharing your story. It made me cry and helped my heart all the while. Blessings and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine sent me your blog when she saw it today...I'm so glad she did...As I too have lost my only child...just over 2 months ago, Aug 20/2014 . Cleo, my beautiful daughter died just one month shy of her 24th birthday...I am learning much about myself, my friends and my family during this difficult journey...As much good as bad..is the simple way to express it...but I believe you know EXACTLY what I mean. I have done a few Video Blogs about my grief...sharing my thoughts , but its not easy ..but seems to help me somewhat...as it also helps some family and friends feel connected to me during this time.....Thank your for sharing your thoughts...you articulate your experiences very well! <3 I am so very sorry for your loss<3

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to hear from my readers. I hope this blog has helped you in some way. For some reason my ability to respond to comments is not working and I apologize if you do not hear from me right away and I want you to know I read every single one of your comments.

Trish